Tuesday, December 20, 2005

 

Alphabet Soup


There has been so much written about New Orleans lately in the negative that I thought as we arrive in the "N's" it might be good to talk about the good stuff. NOLA is, in my never to be humble opinion, the best restaurant town in the world -- and this is my personal fav -- Emeril's. Yeah, him, the "Bam" guy. One of the best meals of my entire life. Appetizer. Homemade andouille sausage with home made worstershire sauce, I can't tell you the rest, it'll make us both too hungry.


One of the other great things in NOLA is architecture. Some of it in very unusual places -- like the cemeteries. The same conditions that made it flood so bad mean they can't bury people, so they have these crypts.

This fence post is, if you look closely, corn -- its from a home in the Garden District. this is very special to my wife and I. The first conversation we ever had -- in the narthex at church -- was about my garden where I was growing corn

Of course, the French quarter is the French Quarter. I think everybody knows about, particularly at Mardi Gras time.

I like it in the quieter times -- that's when you can get a feel for how things used to be. Then you get a real feel for the old southern port. NOLA was unique, even for the south. The strong French and Carribean influences made it a very different place from the rest of the south.

And here jazz was born -- the great American music form. It permeates the entire city. These are "amatuers" on the streets, in fact here they are in Jackson Square, but these amatuers might turn up in a club after dark. That's quality street music.

Speaking of Jackson Square, I think I will leave you with a wonderful dusky view of the city's most recognizable landmark. New Orleans is a must on any travel list.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory