Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

Breaking Through Loneliness

The Constructive Curmudgeon had an interesting post on Christmas loneliness the other day.
The lonely are asked what their Christmas plans are. The reply is in so many words, "There are no special plans. We will just hunker down at home - alone, again; and wait for it to end."
I have some sympathy with this bit lonelinessess -- I lived alone for 20 years before I was married. Sometimes my wife and I choose to spend holidays, though never Christmas, alone and hunkered down -- usually from exhaustion.

But this I will say about all that time I spent alone all those years before marriage -- it was self-imposed. Oh, sometimes the invitations were sparse, but there was always something to do if I really wanted to. If I live in such isolation it is because I am putting me in front of everyone else.

Long ago, when I felt lonely, I learned to repeat this verse to myself.
Phil 2:3 - Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself;
The end to loneliness lies in the very idea of worrying about the other guy's loneliness more than my own -- because, trust me, there is someone more lonely than you out there.

Next time you are feeling lonely, don't wait for an invitation -- issue one.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory