Friday, December 30, 2005

 

The Gospel

Miscellanies on The Gospel provided a link to a post by Mark Lauterbach on what precisely is the gospel, and how confused the American church seems to be. Lauterbach cites numerous examples for what people believe makes them a Christian.

you know, the usual tripe. But this unnerved me

My memory ran back to a message I heard at a major Southern Cal church, where the man ended with the "Gospel" -- "Here is the good news of Jesus. If you accept God, he will accept you."
Acceptance, not salvation, acceptance? I know this is what pop culture wants to hear, but there is something uniquely perverse about that particular formulation.

Lauterbach does a fine job with the necessary analysis here, there is little I can add, other than my utter astonsihment.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory