Monday, December 19, 2005

 

Macedonian Memories

Believe it or not, my 1991 trip to the Soviet Union where I visited Chernobyl and was there for the failed coup attempt against Gorbachov may not be my most interesting overseas project. There is another one I did where I started in Yugoslavia and ended in Macedonia because Yugoslavia fell apart right under me. The people of the "Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia" (you can thank the Greeks for that quite unweildy name) are a wonderful people and it has been a struggling nation. Thay have seen ethnic strife and they were the argicultural center of Yugoslavia and when it split, they lacked a decent manufacturing base to make a real go of it. So this is good news:

Macedonia wins green light to be EU membership candidate

While I am not a big fan of the EU, the Macedonia situation can be helped immensely by such an alliance. I wish them well.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory