Sunday, December 04, 2005

 

Reflections On The Lesson

As I prepared the regular Sunday "Sermons and Lessons" appearing just below, I was struck by these words
For bliss or blessedness does not come from the wealth of things, but from God. In other words, bliss or blessedness does not depend on any created thing or on a creature?s work, but only on God and his works.

Therefore, I should only wait for God and his work and leave aside all creatures with all their works, first of all my own self.
Confession time: I'm a little down-in-the-dumps post Thanksgiving. Haven't put my finger on why just yet, but I am suffering that melancholy that we all get from time-to-time.

These words I have just quoted remind me how self-involved and unfaithful it is to dwell in such a place. One thing's for sure, when I feel that way it's because I am thinking about me instead of about God. Therein lies the problem - it's not really about me.

It's common to talk about God's supplying of our material blessings, and let's face it, anybody reading a blog is materially blessed. But God's blessings don't stop there.
Matt 21:22 - "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive." [emphasis added]
God supplies all things I need.

I may take a lot of heat from this, but melancholy is, in my opinion, a symptom of a lack of faith. It means that in some sense, I am not trusting and relying upon God.

You ever had that melancholy turn into depression? I have. Ugly thing depression. In the end it wasn't the counselors that helped -- it was my coming to understand that God had not abandoned me - it was my learning once again to rely on Him, and not myself, that broke the cycle.

How can I be melancholic when I look fully at my Lord? He is a being of the most amazing beauty and the most overwhelming love.
Therefore, I should only wait for God and his work and leave aside all creatures with all their works, first of all my own self.
These words I must cherish.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory