Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 

Why Am I Pulled Up Short Here?

Reformation Theology had an interesting post last week on the Five Solas of the Reformation. Something I affirm. And yet, when reading it, I found myself questioning. Consider
The material principle of the Reformation was Sola Fide, meaning "by Faith alone." This was the material or substance of the preaching of the Reformers. The formal principle "Scripture alone" was the principle that Scripture alone (and not Church tradition) is the sole infallible rule of faith for the Church. This was the principle by which "Faith Alone" is affirmed, as well as the other solas. That is because these doctrines are the doctrines of the Bible.
For some reason I could not help but be struck when I read that with the question, "Have the Solas become tradtion and are therefore problematic?" Maybe it's because of the post about criticism I wrote yesterday - but with the huge wars that have been raging between the TR and the rest, I could not help but wonder if it is possible for even our reformed thought to become dogmatic and therefore to stand in the way. Again, I affirm the Solas but....

Which leads me to the next thought I had, as Samson discussed the Solas he spoke of salvation and justification, but what of sanctification? You see, therein I think lies the difference between the Solas as dogma and the Solas being the gracious ideas they are intended to be.

I am continually struck by how in the hands of a saint, most theology works, but in the hands of the unsaintly, theology becomes a cudgel, regardless of its "correctness."

None of this, by the way is to say that I disagree with anything Samson said. These are just thoughts that floated by as I read his post. But these thoughts raise an important question - what do I seek first? -- Understanding or Transformation? I must answer Transformation.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory