Friday, January 20, 2006

 

Are We Without Hope?

When it comes to environmental policy we are ready to try and change the entire fabric of international relationships and human exisitence because we might be causing global warming. We assume the worst and we have no hope that things may be different than they seem.

Terri Shiavo was starved to death because no one dared hope that what they witnessed with their own eyes was a sign of life and no one dared hope that she would get better.

How many times have you uttered to yourself, "Better to have low expectations, that way I can't be disapponted" But in a case like Schiavo's those low expectations, that lack of hope, removed the opportunity for any hope to be realized.

Now Michelle Malkin tells the amazing and heart-wrenching story of a very young girl for whom no one had any hope, and yet she had hope for herself, and it has been realized. A young girl, beaten into a PVS by her stepfather, has fought her way back to self-sustenance on the verge of having her life support removed. As Michelle says
Next, look for The Professionals to tell us that despite her improvements, her "quality of life" will be worthless.
In the face of proof of the value of hope, hopelessness will rear it's ugly head, and possibly prevail.
Job 13:15 - "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Nevertheless I will argue my ways before Him.
We are called to hope in the midst of apparent hopelessness. Not because of the situation, but because of in whom our hope resides. the more I think about it, the more I think this may be the gravest consequence of the increasing secularization of societal discourse, the loss of hope.
Eccl 9:4 - For whoever is joined with all the living, there is hope; surely a live dog is better than a dead lion.
Such wisdom so easily ignored in debates over PVS and abortion. A lower quality of life is still a life!
Zech 9:12 - Return to the stronghold, O prisoners who have the hope; this very day I am declaring that I will restore double to you.
I refuse to be hopeless. I will read the story of Haleigh Poutre and I will see God's hand at work. I will have hope becasue I have a God that is worthy of that hope and that will, in the end, see to the realization of that hope.

Further, I resolve again to bring Jesus to my world - for only in Jesus can this hope be found. And only in such hope can we, as a society move forward.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory