Friday, January 20, 2006

 

The Good News

GospelDrivenLife reviews John Piper's latest book and says this
John is rightly concerned that Gospel centeredness can become a "me and my justification". It is all about my sins being forgiven, my acceptance with God, my daily need to live in the goodness of the Gospel, applying the Gospel to my idols and pride. That sort of Gospel centeredness is really at risk of being me-centered -- a form of narcissism with the Gospel helping.

This book is a major corrective. John simply notes that the goodness of the good news is ultimately more than my forgiveness and justification. It is that now, the God of heaven, through the sacrifrice of his Son, has invited me into his presence. The good news is that I may know and see and worship and delight in God through the sacrifice of the Son of God and the indwelling of the Spirit of God.
This is precisely the point I have been driving at in my posts on worship here and here.

We live in a narcissitic age. If the church chases "success" by "tuning" the gospel to that narcissism, what we will have accomplished will not be in line with the desires of our Lord.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory