Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Is Your Faith Too Practical?

Most recent Warnie receipient GospelDrivenLife (hmmm, could that be a shot at Warren?) had a great post just yesterday.
The conversation developed and her client offered these words, after describing her pursuit of the Lord, "I hope the Lord is pleased with the sacrifice I have made." My wife was instantly struck with how that sort of comment is 1.) common, 2.) self-focused. Her immediate reply was this, "I don't know if he is, but I know he is pleased with the sacrifice of his Son."...

...We are deeply self-promoting. We do not want "bleeding charity" as Lewis says it so well in The Great Divorce. Give me something to do. Be practical. Gospel-centerdness means I rest in the pleasure of God in the sacrifice of his Son.
I am first struck that it is possible to accept the "bleeding charity" and still want something to do, to want our faith to be practical. In fact, I want my faith to be the most practical possible - I want it to change the very essence of who I am.

What is so right is that God changes me, I do not change myself. What is so right here is that I cannot earn anything when it comes to God, it is purely a grant of grace. But there is a danger in pronouncements of this sort, a danger that I will continue to sin that grace may abound, waiting for God to change me.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory