Monday, January 02, 2006

 

Narnian Reflections

I saw Narnia for the third time over the weekend. That movie effects me on an emotional level like few ever have. It leaves me in a bit of a stunned silence -- even on the third viewing. I have been to a place I have always wanted to go and I don't really want to leave. I cannot help but reflect that Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy would have a truly difficult time back in "reality."

Although I don't think the scene plays as well or as powerfully in the movie as it does in the books, when Susan and Lucy accompany Aslan on his trek to the stone table, I am touched at the deepest level, at his resurrection as well because of the intimacy they share with Aslan. In the early scene they hold is mane, in the later they ride him. Oh how my heart longs to hold Christ's hand and to "ride" Him.

Then I am forced to reflect on how the boys seem not to have this intimacy. No doubt some will want to, and some have, make all sorts of noises about the sexual roles and so forth, but set that aside. Consider the roles they play apart from their sex.

Are those destined to fight the Lord's fight going to be somehow less intimate with the Lord than those destined to tend the Lord and His army? I would hope not, but experience would teach me otherwise.

I think about those on the "front lines" who are so often tripped up by thier personal foibles, flaws and sins - they all seem just a little "too worldly." I reflect on the masters of mysticism I am so fond of extensively quoting each Sunday here, they seem to be firmly holding the hand of Christ, but seem so foreign to those that need the gospel.

Then I reflect on the tension in my own life, my overwhelming desire to "hold Aslan's mane" and my similarly intense desire to be in the battle and the fact that when I concentrate on one, the other seems to slip way from me. Oftimes I am content to be one place or the other, but not now.

Now I find myself wanting Aslan's mane in my left hand and the sword of Narnia in my right. (Forgive me for slipping in and out of metaphor here -- I realize it is bad form.)

Am I nuts, or do I have a vision here? I, frankly, don't know. I'm in love with the idea, but utterly clueless on how to come close to achieving it. Please - pray with me about this.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory