Monday, January 16, 2006

 

One Of Our Own

The IMonk, writing at Boar's Head Tavern reflects on a Challies post, comments on Phillip Yancey and Tony Campolo and wonders
Can we point to people who are not theologically identical to our own team as examples of how to play the game?
For me that answer is simple -- of course.

There is a reason I think the answer simple. I lack the conviction of the absolute truth of my theology. My theology is the best that I can derive, but I refuse to believe that I have it absolutely "right." My reasons for that are two-fold.

Firstly, the subject matter. There is no way I can master the subject of God. Can't be done. If I could He would be less than God.

Secondly. I have seen too much good come out of other traditions to refuse to believe that God is at work in them.

That said; however, I would point to those other camps with conditions. I have a personal distaste for Yancey, but I have recommended him to some people in some specific situations, commenting that I would not take him too far.

Campolo was, in my youth, a hero. While I have vehement disagreements with his politics, and in later years some of his theology, I still retain some of the youthful adoration. I have likewise recommended him with conditions.

Is there a fellow Christian I might not recommend? Oh sure - pretty much anybody on TV, and I am not yet recommending Jim Wallis, I really need to look into him more to decide. Everything I have read of Wallis to date does not recommend him.

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory