Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

The Problem of Perfectionism

Miscellanies on the Gospel had an interesting post yesterdy about perfectionism. Rob talks about OCD orderliness and the fact that such perfection is not achievable in this world. I agree, but I not sure Rob distinguishes between the achievement of perfection and the striving for perfection.
James 1:4 - And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
It is, in fact God's desire and goal to perfect us. That is the promise of transformation that we have in Jesus, nothing less will do.

The problem that Rob describes in his post is not a problem of seeking the perfect, but a problem of thinking we can achieve perfection of ourselves.
In a way, when I am acting out of this tendency, I am practically denying my innate depravity and inherent sinfulness. Though I would acknowledge my depravity and sinfulness in one sense (else I would not be so obsessed with doing things perfectly), I deny it in another sense in that I actually believe I can possibly if not probably achieve perfection in certain areas.
And while I inderstand where Rob is coming from, this near concluding statement bothered me a little
Praise God for the gospel which preaches to me that I am not perfect, never have been, and never will be. I will never be able to do anything with any degree of perfection, if perfection had degrees at all. Every one of my best efforts will be contaminated in some way with the taint of sinfulness, though I may not be able to detect it.
I have a hard time thanking God for my imperfections. Oh yes, I need to let go of my attempts to fix them, but praise God for them? No, I can't find the desire or need to do that. I need to seek humility and compassion that can only be born of knowing I am not perfect, but more than anything I desire to be made perfect.

I do not want to lose that desire, I just need to know I can't get there on my own.

Related Tags: , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory