Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

What Do You Think About Prayer

Thanks to the other Warnock for linking to this post on prayer. Richard Hall offers some very interestng short little thoughts. Here are a couple of my favorites
3. We never begin to pray, we always enter into prayer that has already begun before us and without us, the prayer of the church.

8. It is also a nonsense to ask whether or not God answers prayer. The Father is the object of prayer, the Spirit is the subject of prayer, the Son is the predicate of prayer. How then can God not answer his own prayers? If God seems silent, it is only because he is listening - and thinking about his answer. And as for those answers, William Temple said, ?When I pray, coincidences happen.?
I very much like the idea that prayer is something that happens independent of me, that it is something I join, or participate in, but not something I originate. Frankly, I feel inadequate. One of the more entertaining thoughts was this one
9. Do you have arid times of prayer? What else! Wherever did we get the idiotic and disabling idea that prayer must be a richly rewarding experience?
Once again, it's not about me. Prayer is not about what I have to say, it's a seeking, a seeking of what God has to say, and more importantly it's a seeking of the presence of God Himself.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory