Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

Why Scars Matter

Mark Daniels had a great piece yesterday called "Thank God For Your Scars." It really rung true to me. I am currently teaching a Sunday School class on CS Lewis and on Sunday we went through the apologetics works - rapidly - and ended with A Grief Observed citing that in that book Lewis discovers that apologetics can only take us so far and how it was in his hour of deepest grief that he found his deepest faith. Mark puts it this way
God is willing to forgive our sins and give us joy from living His way. But, be warned: If we're genuinely following Him, the scars we incur will never go away.

They're the trophies of those who've grabbed the outstretched hand of a loving God.

They're the yellow lights blinking us to be cautious when we're tempted to go our own ways instead of God's.

Scars are often the gracious gifts of a loving God.
In 1985 I was in a very serious automobile accident. I bounced off the windshield not once, but twice - stiches in my forehead on levels I never quite imagined (and those were the least of my injuries.) I can still feel the scars very prominently to this day. There is a numb spot on my forehead - sometimes it still hurts, and everytime I get in the car, that scar whispers, well actually screams, "seatbelt," right in my ear.

I am struck by the fact that healed is not the same as perfected. Ultimately we will be perfected, but for now, we can only be healed, scars and all. Sometimes those scars will hurt. How I long for the day God not only heals, but perfects me. How I long for the day the scars won't hurt anymore.

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory