Thursday, February 09, 2006

 

I'm Pretty Sure God Does Not Work This Way

A while back, I posted about how I thought the idea of something called "motivational" spiritual gifts was a bad idea.
When I heard the sermon, it made me tilt my head kind of like a dog when it looks at you and you are talking to it as if saying, "I know you're talking, I'm really interested, but this makes no sense."

My suspicions about this idea were confirmed a bit later when I was talking to someone that had been around the horn with the idea a few times. Their comment was that in practice the motivational gifts ended up being like "zodiac signs" - people dividing themselves into clubs by motivation, and then excluding themselves from some things because it wasn't their motivation. So for example, those motivated to prophesy didn't need to help clean-up after the potluck, because that was for those motivated to service. Funny thing was there were always a whole lot more prohets than there was servants.
But let's buy the idea for a minute. Do you think God would reveal your gift to you through a short quiz in the Internet?

All these years, if only I'd known that discerning the will of the Holy Spirit were so simple. My life would have been so much better.

Related Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory