Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

Integrating Evangelism and Apologetics

SmartChristian is looking at Francis Schaeffer and quotes a responder
Apologetics is seen as heady and unspiritual since it is allegedly disconnected from the realities of reaching out to culture. People don?t like to be hit over the head with the truth, we are told, they need to be loved into the Kingdom. These ideas serve to hamper those in the church who, with the gifting of evangelism, have pursued apologetics to improve their witness to the world. The reality is that Christians typically do not study apologetics as a dry exercise in intellectual superiority, or so that they can win debates and look good. Christians who study apologetics do so to be better able to respond to the real life opportunities for evangelism that do arise. Apologetics is the handmaiden of evangelism, yet it is looked down upon as a hindrance to evangelism.
Now, First of all, I would never propose to question the motives of anyone studying apologetics, I am sure they do it through the purest of motives. Secondly, my concerns about the role of apologetics arise out of my own personal experience. This I will say, apologetics is necessary, but insufficient, that's the rub I have.

At times in my own life I have gotten so wrapped up in apologetics that I forgot to develop the other parts of my walk with the Lord, much to my detriment, and much to the detriment of the message I shared. I find the study of apologetics almost hypnotic in its pull.

Also in my life, I studied apologetics in huge depth, but never personally experienced the transforming life that was possible in Christ until I moved on. I kept God pinned in my mind by trying to figure Him out instead of letting him rule me. (Bear in mind, that despite Adrian Warnock's contention that I am a charismatice and my belief in the gifts I have never experienced them personally - I'm talking about a different level of experience.)

Beign primarily a mathematician, I also find argument frustrating. When it comes to this kind of argument, at the end of the day, there is no proof in the mathmatical sense, there is but convincing and unconvincing. And in my experience, if someone does not wish to encounter Jesus, they will refused to be convinced, no matter how eloquent the apolgist may be. Eccelciastes comes to mind
Eccl 12:12-13 - But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body. The conclusion, when all has been heard, fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person
As with all things, the danger is relying too much on ourselves and not enough on God. I find this most dangerous place in apologetics when I do it, and I have other friends who have as well.

Besides, with the state of the church right now, I think apologetics is more necessary in the church than for evangelism. Consider the post immediately below - we need to develop "internal" apologetics for issues such as this.

Do away with apologetics - never, but I do think it needs to be properly contained and understood in the correct context, and I think it more useful for us than for evangelism.

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory