Saturday, February 18, 2006

 

Is Forgiveness Transactional?

Check this out. When you get there, click on and view the American Idol clip.

It's of a woman, following Christ's example as she verbally proclaims, and "forgiving" Simon Cowel one of his trademark insults. First of all, bravo to the woman for proclaiming her faith so openly.

But it raises a serious question for me. Simon never apologized, never withdrew his statement, never said he did anything wrong. In fact at the end of the clip you will discover that this gracious and lovely lady pretty much meets the description Simon made, even if he made it tastelessly and arrogantly.

Did she really forgive him? Or did she simply decide not to let the comment bother her?

You see I have always thought forgivness was transactional - that it involved the restoration of a relationship. In this case there never really was a relationship to restore, but I am talking in the more general theological sense.

Scripture seems clear to me
I Jn 1:9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
This is a plainly conditional statement - confession is a necessary condition of forgivness.

And yet, I increasingly hear about unilateral and unconditional forgiveness. This is one of those places where I think modern psychological theory has crept into our theological thinking. You see, it really is not healthy to hold a grudge, to remain angry at someone that has wronged you - it will consume you if you do not let go of the anger. And so, we have come to say "You need to forgive him/her."

But see, I don't think letting go that way is forgiveness. I think that very healthy release of anger is a different event than forgiveness. In other words I do not think forgiveness is separable from reconiliation.

Let me end with this question. If God has forgiven everybody (not just the elect mind you) already and unconditionally how can there be any condemnation?

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory