Friday, February 24, 2006

 

So What Is Fair?

The Gad(d)about was blogging about expectations the other day and he said this
That's often when faith is challenged the most, when we put down God's justice for our own, and those three famous words come out of our previously pious mouths:

It's not fair.

I can't think of anything more unBiblical than that phrase.
My question is this - why do adults EVER utter that phrase? It is a whine children develop when the kid next door gets a bicycle and the child in question does not. It's a whine to which my parents routinely and frequently responded, "Life's not fair, get used to it!" And, I have.

Matt's right, its not a Biblical phrase. If God was fair, at least in the sense that we usually mean it, we would live in a world where everbody was identical in every way. The one fault my parents, well Mom really, made in this regard was at the dinner table. When she served something my sister and I both liked there would always be a fight about who got more. So Mom measured our portions down to the gnat's behind to make sure we got precisely the same amount - just to be fair. This in spite of the fact that my sister is literally half my size. The funny part is Mom still does it today, when she cooks, and Sis and I don't care.

Do you think God sits in His heaven with a carefully calibrated scale parcelling out whatever? Well, not whatever, but there is one thing we all get equally - grace. yep we all get an infinite amount.

Now that's fair -- we all get all the grace we could ever need and more, if only we were smart enough to appropriate it!

Related Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory