Thursday, March 16, 2006

 

The Christian Response To Homosexuality

However, because my faith is so pivotal to me, I've chosen to be single and to be celibate. I can't say I've always been successful - I am a human being, not perfect.
So says a young African, studying in the UK who is both a Christian and "gay." Those are indeed wise words, and more or less the same ones any unmarried heterosexual Christian should be saying too.

The problem I have with our young friend's article is his attempts to rid himself of the guilt he feels at being attracted to other men. Our pyscho-babble society has removed the guilt from so much previously stygmatized behavior and all they have really suceeded in doing is removing a natural, God-given hint to our understanding of our fallen nature.

Guilt is not, despite what many "therapists" will tell you, the problem. The problem is how we handle our guilt. I thank God for my guilt, for it turns me to Him. Guilt is what makes me know He is the source of righteousness.

Our African friend talks about needing to be "who he is." We all have such feelings, but we need to remember that God calls us to be much, much more. Who we are is fallen and depraved. Who God would have us be involves a complete transformation of our being. For the Christian, denial of "who we are" is a very common experience - Christ denies "who we are" because He has a much, much better idea in mind.

I have much common cause with my African Christian brother. I shall pray for him. I hope you will too.

Related Tags: , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory