Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

An Excellent Question!

Over at Out Of Ur, the blogger du jour is asking
What if Jesus were the guest speaker at our church this Sunday? What would he say?
I love the way he describes the emotional state that spurs these questions
I feel like I have gotten lost in a system that has eaten me alive.
That feeling is a nice summation of my emotional state when the idea for How To Be A Christian And Still Go To Church (HTCSGC) emerged.

The author wonders if in his postulated circumstances Jesus might not speak to leadership instead of the congregation. It is an excellent question! In my original formulation for the book HTCSGC it was going to be a diatribe at church leadership. In the ensuing years I have softened that stance some coming to understand the limitations a church leader has as a person and in the office. We all have an opportunity to work things out for ourselves, we are in a sense responsible for our own walk with the Lord.

Having said that I think the issues raised in Ur post should be addressed not just to the leadership, but to the church in general. I want to look at just two of the points he makes
You do not evaluate your church the way I do. I am more concerned about you being my presence in this community rather than whether or not you may be happy with the way things are going.
We should not pick a faith community based on how popular it is. We should not pick a faith community becasue it "feels" right to us. We should pick a faith community because we encounter God there. And not just in the worship services either. Do we encounter God in the lives of those around us, the leadership and the pewsitter both? Do we see the church, s a community of faith, bearing the fruits of the Spirit? Or, do we see strife and turmoil? Do we sense efforts to hide strife and turmoil under a thin veneer of civility? Is there a place for us to make this community of faith one like these questions imply it should be?

The other great point he makes is.
You do not evaluate truth the way I do Sermon messages are not good if they seem to pass the popularity contest. There were times when I spoke and people walked away, wanting nothing more to do with me.
I want nothing to do with a church that does not hold truth in the highest regard. That does not mean that there is universal agreement on what a particular truth is, rather it means that all in the community seek the truth actively, persistently and civilly. It also means speaking the whole truth, not just the truth that is pleasant, not just the truth that is convenient, and not just the truth that "draws them in." It means speaking the truth not just theologically, but practically. That means not just speaking the truth but living it, and holding other accountable to living it as well.

What constitutes the "system that has eaten me alive?" A church that views itself as an entertainment medium. A church that is willing to trample the downtrodden for the sake of its success. A church that exists for its own sake instead of the sake of its members, and mostly the sake of our Lord.

Cross -posted at How To Be A Christian and Still Go To Church

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory