Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

Good Conclusion - Baaaaad Example

Writing at Leadership's Out of Ur blog Angie Ward concludes her post this way
In the sanctuary as in the arena, everyone needs an intentional introduction to the liturgy.
Amen to that! -- I have always felt that the biggest reason that liturgy is rapidly fading is because we no longer teach people the value and meaning of it.

When it is my honor to serve as liturgist at my local congregation I always try to introduce, briefly, the particular liturgical bit I am about to lead - to help people understand that it is more than just something to recite or read. I get wonderful responses - particularly from people who are "new" - "So that's what that's all about!? - It's wonderful now that I think about it!" is a phrase I have heard more than once.

But our blogging friend arrives at this marvelous conclusion by analogy, describing her experience taking a firend to her first ever ACC basketball game. Now, firstly, as a Big Ten person from Indiana, I must decry drawing any analogy from college basketball's minor leagues - but that aside I need to get serious again.

I love college basketball on levels near inappropriate. Whenever I see analogies of this sort I wince because of how hard I work in my life to keep basketball in its proper perspective - Sometimes I grow concerned that analogies of this type feed an already exisiting tendency to idolatry.

I really think it better to talk about basketball traditions rather than "liturgy." Yeah, I know, it destroys the analogy, but it preserves the uniquness of a word like "liturgy."

Related Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory