Friday, March 31, 2006

 

Growing Up

The other day, Al Mohler looked at an article about youth trends in clothing marketing and concluded
The article is worth a look. Sternburgh sees the problem through a New York City lens, but the problem is found across the country. The issue of dress isn't what's most important -- it's the fact that adulthood is disappearing as a recognizable mark of maturity and responsibility.
I find that statement deeply reflective of so much, not just in things like fiscal and family responsibility, but in one's walk with Christ as well.

What is the primary mark of adulthood? I would suggest that it is coming to regard others and not simply view everything through the lens of yourself. Whether those others are on a personal level like a spouse, or a societal level where one comes to realize that somethings are simply done for the good of the common order, maturity is best measured in denial of what you think is in your self interest in recognition of the needs, wants and desires of the other.

What's amazing is that if we do adopt that mature attitude we find that it contains the genuine fulfillment we sought with the purely selfish.

Consider this
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
The call to Christ is not a call to mere salvation - it is a call to maturity, the kind of maturity that seeks to give up ourselves to the purposes of Christ.

So why doesn't the church all people into that maturity? I think because we haven't gone there ourselves! If we want to bring Christ to the world, let's start with ourselves. Let's seek the maturity the world seems to deny. Let's let Christ live in us!

Related Tags: , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory