Monday, March 27, 2006

 

Now THIS Is A Problem

Mere Orthodoxy is tackling the idea of raising the stakes when it comes to discussing homosexuality in the church. The idea is don't say homosexuality is the problem - say fornication is the problem, ragardless of which sex it is with. That's an idea I have held for a long time. Anyway, Andrew thinks it's a good, if unworkbale idea:
I honestly don?t think that the pastors in our nation are capable of ?blistering and frank condemnations of fornication ? based on a keen insight into what that sin can do to a human soul.? There just isn?t the theological background to do so.

[...]

Our pastors simply don't know how to talk about sin in an understandable way, much less sexual immorality. We need, so desperately, to educate Christians to think well and rationally.
I'd like to think there are some pastors out there that could do this right, but then I run into a a post like this a Scotwise.
Lately, I have read so many articles concerning the positive confession doctrine, and I would have to agree that most of these preachers are in the extreme, and that many of them are preaching outright heresy.
"Positive confession" appears to be some sort of idea to take the "sting" out of confession - you know that place where we confront the fact we need God?

I see things like that and I that Andrew may be right. Scotwise says we should not worry too much about these extremes, but I'm not sure it's that extreme, at least in the sense that more hold the nonsense than the good stuff, particularly when it comes to ideas like sin and confession.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - I wonder if the place to start "fixing" the church is the seminaries?

Cross-posted at How To Be A Christian And Still Go To Church

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory