Thursday, April 06, 2006

 

Brokeback Bull*&^%

'Scuse me while I rant.

"Brokeback Mountain" is what it is. It is a particular vision of a particular life, or lives. I don't care for it, but so be it. And while I have found the marketing campaign a bit intense, that is just the cost of living in America which I would not change for the world. But now I'm ticked.

I went to my usual neighborhood grocery. There each Tuesday I am greeted with the DVD releases of the week in the impulse-buy area near the checkout. To date this has been reserved for family fair or for the somewhat racier "date" movies. But this week there, next to the "Narnia" display, was the "Brokeback" display. (shudder, but resignation) But then I studied the Brokeback display and lost it completely.

The display depicted both male protagonists kissing women! Did I not know what the movie was really about I would have, for all the world, assumed it was some sort of family western like maybe Lonesome Dove. Look, I know their relationships with women play a significant role in the movie, but THAT IS SIMPLY DISHONEST! I could just see some 9-11 year-old whose parents had carefully kept away from the public debate over the film seeing that display, picking up a movie and taking it to their parents because it "looked good" - forcing the parents into a discussion with the kid they had worked very hard to preserve until the child was older.

A word to the homosexual community - you want acceptance? - you sure as shooting are not going to get it through deception. Being gay is one thing, but being deceptive just ticks me off. If I were gay, I'd be angry with the film's marketing arm.

Oh, by the way - I called the store to ask them about this - Narnia sold out in 2 hours - They can't give Brokeback away.

Related Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory