Sunday, April 23, 2006

 

Sermons and Lessons

INTRODUCTION TO THE AUTHOR

John Woolman was a quiet man whose faithfulness spoke loudly in tempestuous times. Born in New Jersey to a Quaker farm family, Woolman lived in the ferment of colonial America. It was a time of impending revolt against England, a time of rampant slave trade and of war with Indians, a time when many suffered the hardships of poverty. Woolman's life of simple, steady obedience addressed them all. It would have surprised him that later writers would call him a "saint" and a "prophet," for he was only trying to follow Christ, the True Shepherd, as closely as possible.

Woolman begins his Journal, "I have often felt a motion of love to leave some hints in writing of my experience of the goodness of God." Over the sixteen years that The Journal was written, we can see how Woolman becomes increasingly aware of the broad scope of God's love and how his own tenderness grows toward all people and the whole creation. In love he lived a life of rigorous integrity and courageous witness, a life that challenges us still. The following selections only begin to illustrate his wide and thorough integration of God?s goodness into his living.

EXCERPTS FROM THE JOURNAL OF JOHN WOOLMAN

1. The Voice of the True Shepherd

My mind through the power of Truth was in a good degree weaned from the desire of outward greatness, and I was learning to be content with real conveniences that were not costly, so that a way of life free from much entanglements appeared best for me, though the income was small. I had several offers of business that appeared profitable, but did not see my way clear to accept them, believing the business proposed would be attended with more outward care and cumber than was required of me to engage in. I saw that a humble man with the blessing of the Lord might live on a little, and that where the heart was set on greatness, success in business did not satisfy the craving, but that in common with an increase of wealth the desire of wealth increased. There was a care on my mind to so pass my time as to things outward that nothing might hinder me from the most steady attention to the voice of the True Shepherd.

2. The Fear of Man Brings a Snare

I find that to be a fool as to worldly wisdom and commit my cause to God, not fearing to offend men who take offense at the simplicity of Truth, is the only way to remain unmoved at the sentiments of others.

The fear of man brings a snare. By halting in our duty and giving back in the time of trial, our hands grow weaker, our spirits get mingled with the people, our ears grow dull as to hearing the language of the True Shepherd, that when we look at the way of the righteous, it seems as though it was not for us to follow them.

There is a love that clothes my mind while I write which is superior to all expressions, and 1 find my heart open to encourage a holy emulation to advance forward in Christian firmness. Deep humility is a strong bulwark, and as we enter into it, we find safety and true exaltation. The foolishness of God is wiser than man, and the weakness of God is stronger than man. Being unclothed of our own wisdom and knowing the abasement of the creature, therein we find that power to arise which gives health and vigor to us.

3. Dwell in Humility

First, my dear friends, dwell in humility and take heed that no views of outward gain get too deep hold of you, that so your eyes being single to the Lord, you may be preserved in the way of safety.

Where people let loose their minds after the love of outward things and are more engaged in pursuing the profits and seeking the friendships of this world than to be inwardly acquainted with the way of true peace, such walk in a vain shadow while the true comfort of life is wanting. Their examples are often hurtful to others, and their treasures thus collected do many times prove dangerous snares to their children.

But where people are sincerely devoted to follow Christ and dwell under the influence of his Holy Spirit, their stability and firmness through a divine blessing is at times like dew on the tender plants round about them, and the weightiness of their spirits secretly works on the minds of others.

4. Freely Cease from Fighting

It requires great self-denial and resignation of ourselves to God to attain that state wherein we can freely cease from fighting when wrongfully invaded, if by our fighting there were a probability of overcoming the invaders. Whoever rightly attains to it does in some degree feel that spirit in which our Redeemer gave his life for us, and through divine goodness many of our predecessors and many now living have learned this blessed lesson. But many others, having their religion chiefly by education and not being enough acquainted with that cross which crucifies to the world, do manifest a temper distinguishable from that of an entire trust in God.

5. Justice Without Delay

[The following is taken from a speech of Woolinan that helped lead the Quakers to reject the institution of slavery years before the American Revolution.]

My mind is often led to consider the purity of the Divine Being and the justice of his judgments, and herein my soul is covered with awe.

Many slaves on this continent are oppressed, and their cries have reached the ears of the Most High! Such is the purity and certainty of his judgments that he cannot be partial in our favor. In infinite love and goodness he has opened our understandings from one time to another concerning our duty towards this people, and it is not a time for delay.

Should we now be sensible of what he requires of us, and through a respect to the private interest of some persons or through a regard to some friendships which do not stand on an immutable foundation, neglect to do our duty in firmness and constancy, still waiting for some extraordinary means to bring about their deliverance, it may be that by terrible things in righteousness God may answer us in this matter.

6. This Precious Habitation

The place of prayer is a precious habitation, for I now saw that the prayers of the saints were precious incense. And a trumpet was given me that I might sound forth this language that the children might hear it and be invited to gather to this precious habitation, where the prayers of the saints, as precious incense, arise before the throne of God and the Lamb. I saw this habitation to be safe, to be inwardly quiet when there were great stirrings and commotions in the world.

Prayer at this day in pure resignation is a precious place. The trumpet is sounded; the call goes forth to the church that she gather to the place of pure inward prayer, and her habitation is safe.

7. Searching Questions

Do I use food and drink in no other sort and in no other degree than was designed by him who gave these things for our sustenance? Do I never abuse my body by inordinate labor, striving to accomplish some end which I have unwisely proposed? If I go on a visit to the widows and fatheress, do I go purely on a principle of charity, free from any selfish views? 1ff go to a religious meeting, it puts me on thinking whether I go in sincerity and in a clear sense of duty, or whether it is not partly in conformity to custom, or partly from a sensible delight which my animal spirits feel in the company of other people, and whether to support my reputation as a religious man has no share in it.

8. Say Neither More nor Less

It was my concern from day to day to say neither more nor less than what the spirit of truth opened in me, being jealous over myself lest I should say anything to make my testimony look agreeable to that mind in people which is not in pure obedience to the cross of Christ.

9. Break the Yoke of Oppression

I was renewedly confirmed in my mind that the Lord (whose tender mercies are over all his works, and whose ear is open to the cries and groans of the oppressed) is graciously moving in the hearts of people to draw them off from the desire of wealth and to bring them into such an humble, lowly way of living that they may see their way clearly to repair to the stanĀ¬dard of true righteousness, and may not only break the yoke of oppression, but may know him to be their strength and support in times of outward affliction.

10. John Woolman Is Dead

[The following is excerpted from Woolman?s account of a vision he had during a time of serious illness.]

I then heard a soft, melodious voice, more pure and harmonious than any I had heard with my ears before; I believed it was the voice of an angel who spoke to the other angels. The words were, "John Woolman is dead." I greatly wondered what that heavenly voice could mean.

I was then carried in spirit to the mines, where poor oppressed people were digging rich treasures for those called Christians, and heard them blaspheme the name of Christ, at which I was grieved, for his name to me was precious. Then I was informed that these heathens were told that those who oppressed them were the followers of Christ, and they said among themselves, "If Christ directed them to use us in this way, then Christ is a cruel tyrant."

All this time the song of the angel remained a mystery, and I was very desirous to get so deep that I might understand this mystery

[After some physical recovery] . . . at length I felt divine power prepare my mouth that I could speak, and then I said, "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me, and the life I now live in the flesh [is] by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Gal. 2:20, KJV). Then the mystery was opened, and I perceived there was joy in heaven over a sinner who had repented, and that the language"John Woolman is dead" meant no more than the death of my own will. (Abridged for the modern reader by Howard R. Macy.)

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory