Friday, May 12, 2006

 

The Importance Of Sacrament

One of the things I have not seen mentioned in any critique of Barna's Revolution is that it makes no provision in his vision of the networked church for the sacraments.

Now granted, there are as many ideas about what is and is not a sacrament, their role and their meaning as there are churches - but they all practice them in some form. Christ's and the apostles' commands to at least baptism and communion (could I be a protestant?) are undeniable; we have no choice, if we want to call ourselves Christians, we need to do these things.

Further, these things require gathering in groups and they require someone to have established authority to preside over them.

It bothers me that I have not seen this critique of Barna's book offered elsewhere. You don't really hear sacramental practice in general discussed much anymore even among the mainstream. Why is that? There is no doubt that on the "growing edges" of our faith, the mystery is dying, but is that being reflected back into the traditional mainstream as well.

'Mystery' is the word that I love best when it comes to the sacraments - there is a mystery about them. That, in part, is why there has been historically so much debate about them. I think that mystery is reflective of the nature of God Himself. God is the ultimate mystery - indeed there is much we can know of Him, but we can never understand Him.
1 Cor 13:12 - For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known.
I love that it is a huge question whether the sacraments are purely symbolic or whether they really are a means by which we directly encounter God, I love the fact will never really know - mostly because in the not knowing I think we do encounter God in a way that He cannot be encountered with knowing.

I also love encountering Him that way with others. I may not know much of what goes on in the sacrament, but I can see Christ in the face of those I share the sacrament with.

Finally, the sacraments are valuable because they are a time where we seek not simply to serve God, but specifically to encounter Him.
Ps 4:4 - Tremble, and do not sin; meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

Ps 46:10 - Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
We encounter God in new ways through stillness and queitness and resting than we do when we sing energetically or work ceaselessly. Celebrating the sacraments creates that stillness and quiet, for a brief moment the strife indeed ceases and we seek the face of God for no purpose than it's beauty and His righteousness.

Cross-posted on How To Be A Christian And Still Go To Church

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory