Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

The Myth Of Scarcity In The Church

How many times have you sat in a church meeting and heard, "We just don't have the resources for that"? How many times have you said it? When you hear it, or say it, are your troubled? I am. Consider:
Matt 6:30 - But if God so arrays the grass of the field, which is {alive} today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, {will He} not much more {do so for} you, O men of little faith?

Phil 4:13 - I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Luke 11:9 - And I say to you, ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.

John 15:16 - You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give to you.
I bet a lot of you have warning flags going up right now, wondering if I am going to go all "name it, claim it." I'm not, more than once I have been down the path with a church that makes a "faith budget" and simply ends up in insurmountable debt. Nope, it's obvious that things are a little more complicated.

But it does seem apparent that if the church is operating in real conformity with the desires of the Lord that scarcity of resources will be the last of our problems So what is that desire of the Lord?
Rom 12:2 - And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
This leaves me with the impression that God's desire for us as individuals and for the church is less about which ministry or how we do ministry and more that we become who He created us to be, "good and acceptable and perfect."

Thus, if we experience scarcity of resources in the church, maybe it's not because we chose the wrong ministry program, maybe its because we chose a ministry program AT ALL instead of chosing to work harder to be God's people. We are not called, necessarily, to do anything, we are called to be transformed, nay recreated. When that is the process we engage in, then I believe we will find scarcity really is a myth.

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory