Friday, August 04, 2006

 

Are You A Christian Writer?

Mike Russell is wondering what it means to be a Christian wrtier, and as is typical for Mike, he is doing so through the lens of JRR Tolkien. He sums it up this way:
Particularly, Christian writing represents a biblical worldview concerning what is true about Creation, Corruption, and Redemption; Christian writing must be involved in or reflect one or more of the preceding dimensions of truth.
When Mike goes on to explain what he means by those terms, things get really interesting, so I recommend the post to all. One problem with a summary like that is that in fiction writing in particular, all of it can be summed up in those three "dimensions of truth," it's the truth that the writer assigns those dimensions that matters.

As a disclaimer, I am no writer of fiction. This is about it, and given the amazingly underwhelming response that has gotten, the efforts are likely to begin and end at that point. I do think the obligations for a Christian writer are very different in fiction and non-fiction.

After all, it would not be even reasonable to ask a fiction writer to write only about people that are pure, plastic, and Christian, heck, it wouldn't even be interesting. But the debate on how pure or not pure is a very active one. (HT: CGO) But since Mike seems to be aiming at fiction, with Tolkien as a guide, I'll let him have at it - he can't go far wrong if he follows his guide.

I'll talk about what I do know a bit about - non-fiction writing. Most don't know it, but I have an actual book in publication. It's called California's Permit-By-Rulle Handbook: A Guide To Compliance - and now you know why most people don't know I have a book in publication.

I must say, it is difficult to put my finger on how, as a Christian, I could have or did write that book any differently that someone who is not a Christian. But I do think there is a difference in what I have done about promoting it after writing it. If, everytime someone asked me for advice on that topic I had sold them a book instead of simply answering their question, the book might not be quite as obscure as it is, though, the community of people interested at all would leave it in pretty serious obscurity regardless.

You see, part of my obligation as a Christian writer is, simply, to be a Christian. Way too many people hang the label on thier product without living the life. Neither I, nor any other Christian writer, have mastered, or could even claim to rise to the level of "good" when it comes to living a Christian life, but I try - and if I am going to call myself a "Christian writer" I must keep trying, and I must keep letting Christ enable me. A big part of living that life means I put the people I encounter ahead of the product I sell.

Blogging is unique among Christian non-fiction writing because it is so interactive. Which, I believe, offers us a greater opportunity to be genuine Christian non-fiction writers than any other medium. Consider
Gal 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Each of those are attributes demonstrated not in word, but in deed, and specifically in deeds involving interactions with others.

So, you want to call yourself a "Christian blogger" then ask yourself if your interaction with other bloggers reflects those attributes. You see, it does not make a difference what it is you write about on your blog. If you want to write about politics, by all means - Baking?, please! I love recipes. - Sports?, sure -whatever it is write about it, but do so in a manner that reflects the attributes the Apostle Paul laid out above - that's the obligation of a Christian blogger.

Now, I can hear the critics lining up to point out the places where I have failed at this standard. Granted! There is one place where some would claim I am continually "in violation" - the use of sarcasm and the wisecrack. I work pretty hard to aim those weapons of criticism at ideas, not persons, but some are offended personally when their ideas are attacked. I am still wondering about that one - I mean no malice, but if malice is communicated, does my intent matter?

That said, I'd rather read a blog about blather that exhibits the characteristics a Christian blog should, than read a blog about Christian theology that does not. And frankly, I think the former will do more to advance the gospel, than a dozen of the later.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory