Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Comic Art

Well, just to break the tedium of the "WHO?" characters from the Defenders, and given that this site says this guy was part of the team we can take a look at HAWKEYE. I really like Clint, but I have never quite known what to make of him. He has a lot of attitude which makes him pretty cool, but he has always struck me as a bit of a "me, too" character.

He has no "powers' - he is just a great guy with a bow-and-arrow. Back in my youth, he seemed so lame without powers he even did a stint as the size-changing Goliath in the Avengers.

But in recent decades (I really do hate being this old) they have worked to develop the character and have been pretty successful. Although, I have to say that the thing that has made him most interesting has been his series of interesting girlfriends. In a sense, his Lathario like nature is responsible for the "death" of the original Avengers - long story, but interesting.

Understandably, the tendency is to always compare him to DC's premminent bowman, Green Arrow. GA has been so successful for so long at DC that it is easy to view any other archer as a "me, too." But it should also be remembered that GA was a Batman "Me, too" when he started.

In the comparison, I think Hawkeye is at a disadvantage because of his look. GA has the classic "Robin Hood" look, which, initially, forced Marvel to make Hawkeye look very different, but I am wondering if they could not work on that now. Actually, I like the version here a great deal, save for the cowl, it's dated - it's his trademark, but it's dated. I'd be tempted to go for the hood thing that GA did back in the '80's with the same color scheme as he has now.

Hawkeye has been in team after team, he is good at it. I'm not even sure where he is at the moment with the original Avengers all broken up. Last I checked it was DNAgents, or Thunderbolts, but...

Related Tags: , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory