Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Thinking About Wisdom

Adrian Warnock has been posting on Proverbs lately. I am gearing up to teach a mid-week Bible study to High School Seniors this year and we are starting off the first couple of months talking about "wisdom" as what they should endeavor to acquire to help them with collegiate life. It's a topic deeply on my mind.

As I approach the topic, certain scriptures ring in my head. Wisdom is clearly connected to two things - submission and utterance. That latter connection should be pretty important to anyone that blogs, for that is all a blog is, utterance.

I know sometimes I like the sound of my own voice an awful lot. Worse, I feel a pressure to put something up here everyday, I feel compelled to utterance. Such compulsion can easily lead to such utterance without the requisite development of wisdom that comes from submission.

I also know that sometimes I think study and reading constuitutes submission. That is surely part of it, but there is more
Prov 19:20 - Listen to counsel and accept discipline, that you may be wise the rest of your days.
Reading, studying, that's easy, but listening, now that's hard - and accepting discipline? Aren't I too old for that now?

There is a lot of talk about "discernment" lately. A lot of that talk, not all mind you, but a lot, strikes me as permission to be mean, and more, permission to be "RIGHT." Well, wisdom defines "RIGHT" and wisdom comes not from utterance, but from submission. The discerner needs to listen and accept discipline not just before, but as he/she utters their discernment.

Related Tags: , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory