Friday, October 06, 2006

 

The First Century Church...

...did not ask the Roman Empire to feed the poor.

That thought went floating through my head the other day as I was considering "liberal Evangelicals." I grow weary of being told that as a "right-wing Christians" I do not care for the poor and oppressed, that I do not wish to comply with the biblical mandate to feed the widows and orphans.

Consider Sojouners - they are constantly babbling about feeding the poor being more important than same-sex marriage...or The Evangelical Climate Initiative who tell us:
The consequences of global warming will therefore hit the poor the hardest, in part because those areas likely to be significantly affected first are in the poorest regions of the world. Millions of people could die in this century because of climate change, most of them our poorest global neighbors.
These people claim the moral high ground on dealing with poverty because they are willing to press government action on same, when I am not.

Since when does a willingness to press government action on any issue grant any sort of moral superioirity, one way or the other? Has Evangelicalism grown to the point where political action matters more than theology and morality? Do I believe my opposition to same-sex marriage morally superior to those that desire it? Of course I do! But I base that judgment not on the fact that I am willing to have the discussion in the political arena, but because I have the authority of scripture and and the weight of history in my camp.

So where do these liberal Evangelicals get off telling me I am morally inferior because I do not want the government to be in the poverty relief business? How do they know what my moral stance on the issue is? Once, just once, I would like to see the liberal Evangelicals quote the statistics on conservative Evangelical giving to private poverty relief organizations and make that accusation. Heck, I personally have given some of these very organizations money for poverty relief until they grew more political than active.

I grow increasingly tired of the tenor of political debate within the faith community. Our faith is not measured by our political stances or actions, on either side of the conservative/liberal divide. Morality is a religious/philosophical construct, not a political one. I have aimed this rant at liberal Evangelicals, but make no mistake, conservatives are often guilty of it as well.

The Apostle Paul said:
1 Cor 2:2 - For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
I don't care what the issue or circumstance - start there and let the rest of it fall into its proper place, aligned with that ultimate fact. Please! - before we lose the faith in maze of politics and sound bites.

Related Tags: , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory