Tuesday, December 12, 2006

 

Why Leave?

A few weeks ago Monday Morning Insight looked at a book looking at why pastors leave local congregational ministry. It is interesting reading and I want to make two comments from it.

First an advanced apology. Some of my minister friends may take some exception to what I say, even feel it is aimed personally. I have no specific individual or individuals in mind as I write. If this strikes you in a personal matter, may I suggest you examine your own heart. If I am wrong, then let's discuss the issue, but there is nothing personal here at all.

First comment: Consider the primary reasons they cite for leaving

With the exception of those last two, that list sounds remarkably like the list that would be compiled by any employee leaving from any job, in any industry. I think that is most telling. The pastorate is NOT just another job. At least I don't think it should be. One of my favorite pastors ever, though far from a perfect person, once said a couple of things to me about pastoral ministry that I think are very wise. The first is that one must struggle with all one's might against taking such a job. It must be the irresistable and unavaoidable direction of the Holy Spirit that lands one there. Secondly he said that one must take the job very seriously, but himself not at all.

Because of my total conviction that the Christian life itself is ministry becoming a pastor is not a job and cannot, I do not think, be viewed as a job, it is a life engulfing undertaking - nothing less will do.

My second comment comes from this bit:

The importance of collegiality to pastors' flourishing emerges in several places in this study. Isolation and loneliness contributed directly or indirectly to pastors' moves out of local ministry.
The calling to the pastorate may be extraordinary in its depth and level of committment, but not in the humanity of the individual. I do not, never have, understood why pastors feel like they must find their collegiality from other pastors and not from the congregation. Ministry is not something you do to someone, it is something you do with someone.

From my perspective, a pastor that teaches by example, that leads with his heart, that models failure, confession, redemption and sanctification from amongst, rather than teaches with words from in front, will be the pastor that truly changes the world.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory