Thursday, February 01, 2007

 

The Experience Of Grace

Milt Stanley has linked to a fascinating post on restoring balance to some of our gospel presentations
I am afraid that we have with good intentions developed a "Grace Culture" that is damaging to the church and God's purposes. Sadly, anyone who even suggests such a thing is automatically assumed to be traditionalists at best, and legalist at worst.

This "Grace Culture," either directly or not, intentionally or not, sadly teaches that:

  • Because of the Cross and Grace, sin is no longer really that bad. God can tolerate it now.
  • God is no longer Holy.
  • Grieving over our sin and weaknesses is a sign of our lack of faith.
  • Life is about blessings instead of personal growth.
  • Grace lowers God?s standards.

I can't say "It's all about Grace" because the Bible doesn't pick one word or concept to sum everything up. One can just as easily argue that it is all about Love, Holiness, Righteousness, etc. but the current trend is Grace, and much good has come from it. But as usual, there is some garbage tagging along. I am not anti-grace; just trying to achieve balance.

I think this observation is right on, as any regular reader knows, and yet I continually find it fascinating. Fascinating because the aptly dubbed "Grace Culture" ends up giving anything but.

We hear so much about the parable of the prodigal when it comes to grace, but I never hear anyone preach on why the prodigal received such grace and the good son resented it so. The answer is, of course, repentance. The prodigal had, throgh his experiences, come to know the depths of his depravity and this resulted in true repentance, "Father, I know I am not worthy...."

The eldest son on the other hand held to his pride and thus did not even know the grace which he was receiving, nor did he receive the special grace that the prodigal did. So, are we to say with the Apostle Paul:
Rom 6:1 - What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace might increase?
No, but we are to come directly to terms with the sin which we already have. Grace is not the ignorance of sin, but rather its direct confrontation.

I am so full of sin, and yet I find so much grace in that realization. Like the older brother, when I say "Gee, I'm pretty good" I miss the boundless and total grace that is already mine. And yet, when I examine myself, when I, like the prodigal, say "Father, I am not worthy...." Grace ceases to be an idea, a thought, a culture and it becomes instead a genuine experience. No longer do I talk about grace, I have it, I hold it, I cherish it. Not because I ignore my sin, but because I confront it.

Your life is more full of grace than you can ever realize. If you do not know that, the truth of the statement lies in the simple act of self-examination. You do not need to debauch as the prodigal did, you need only to recognize that even though you are home with the Father, you too are not worthy.

Related Tags: , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory