Monday, February 19, 2007

 

How Should A Church Work?

That the PC(USA) is in trouble seems undeniable, but is it dying? This post from "A Church For Starving Artists" seems premised on that fact. Things must indeed change, but the mourning and grief she describes is based, it seems to me, on a a presumption that something good is being lost in the process.
Gal 2:20 - I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.
How do you respond to that verse? Do you mourn your crucifixion or do you feel elated at your new life? Probably a bit of both, but may I suggest we try and concentrate on the latter.

Brokeness is an essential element of the gospel which means it is good news, not bad. Many will retort that Christ Himself had His moment of mourning in the garden. Indeed say I, but Christ Himself had something of value to lose, for His was the perfect life. We have nothing to lose, and everything to gain!

I say that, because the suggestions offered in the post are indeed what our church needs. This is a radically different vision for the church than most churches operate under. This to me is the true defintion of outward focus. It's not that the church should focus outward to draw in, it's that it should burst forth outward, ever expanding until it encompasses all.

Equipping is the key, not attracting. Maybe another way to phrase this is the church is meant to spread like an infection, not grow like someone gaining weight.

I do not mourn becaue of how different these ideas are and how much change is involved, I celebrate. I celebrate a vision of how God intends His church to be.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory