Wednesday, June 06, 2007

 

Job Had Nothing On Me

I was 24 hours in transit from Jackson Mississippi to Indidnapolis Indiana. Weather in Dallas closed the airport several hours the day I travelled resulting in my having to spend the night in the DFW terminal (every hotel was sold out). The good news was that my wife making her way to Indy from LA was stranded with me. Her presence was a great blessing in an otherwise horrific situation.

I arrived to news that my mother's broken clavical had moved out of place. We are looking at surgery for her next week to get things put back.

Long time readers will remember my friend Ken. Yesterday while talking to Ken's mother we figured out that the accident that resulted in Ken's death and the one that resulted in my father's were the exact same date two years apart.

I had hoped that with my father's death we could settle into rebuilding a life for my mother and slowly trying to deal with the facts, but God apparently has a different idea. I am grateful I have friends that are more helpful than Job's. God has not abandoned us, nor is all this the result of my numerous sins, it is simply a trial.

We are, after all, Presbyterians - order matters to us as a family and right now there is no order. God's lesson is that no matter how hard we work we cannot reorder, we can only trust. His grace is sufficient.

Perhaps God is providing distractions so that the overwhelming grief of our loss can be handled in small bits sneaking in through the cracks. Before Sunday, the first place I would turned for advice in situation like this would have been my father. I guess at 50 (oh yeah, today is my 50th birthday) I am finally becoming a man.

My deepest desire right now is to help my mother and sister find peace. My wife is my strength for which I will be eternally grateful. I think because I was with dad, much of my grief is spent, but theirs is only beginning. Please pray for them.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory