Saturday, July 07, 2007

 

We Interrupt This Holiday Break...

...because I have been memed! It seems my buddy Matt over at Mere Orthodoxy wants to know eight things about me. Here are the rules:
  1. Let others know who tagged you.
  2. Players post 8 random facts about themselves.
  3. Those who are tagged should post these rules with their 8 facts.
  4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.

And now here are the things

Budding Chemist

My educational path was set for me at an early age, when at six years of age, and completely bored with the safety of commercially available chemistry sets, I looked up the formula for gunpowder and made some. Interestingly, if one does not count fermentation which is as much a biological as a chemical process, gunpowder is historicaly the first chemistry.

Navigational Wizard

I am blessed, and believe me it is a gift, with incredible directional abilities. Once, after not having been to a city for 20 years, I returned and drove directly and unerringly to the house where I had stayed that 20 years earlier - when I was 10! When I moved to LA years ago I would challenge myself on weekends by going somewhere on a planned route and then finding my way home via a different route and without map or other aid. We won't even talk about Scouts. The scoutmaster is still embarrassed.

National Monument

Outside Amarillo, Texas is the Alibates Flint National Monument. This is a flint quarry from which native peoples took flint for tools from all over the Great Plains and the eastern slopes of the Rockies about 1500-1000 years ago. My father was a big part of the effort to have the place designated a National Monument. Hanging on the wall in my living room, in a shadow box, is an original copy of the book of testimonial letters from academics across the nation that was presented to Congress to help achieve the designation. Also in that shadow box are some of the last stone tool fragments legally removed from the site, by yours truly.

John Wayne Rules

OK, this is entirely arbitrary for a list like this, but in my opinion John Wayne is the greatest movie cowboy ever, period, no debate, no competition. I like Clint Eastwood, Audie Murphy, Randolph Scott and the rest, but nobody, and I mean nobody comes close to the Duke.

I Love Ghost Towns

Don't know why, I just think they are cool. From Pripyat outside Chernobyl to Tombstone (which really isn't ghosted at all) to Bodie, CA they are fun and interesting places to visit.

Precocious Christian Reader

I read "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer as a freshman in high school, 14 years old. Sadly, my Bible Study leader who had not even heard of it, let alone read it, told me to shut up in Bible Study because I was intimidating the other kids. Somehow with the retrospect of age I think I was embarrassing him.

I Suck At Puzzles

You would think that a guy that minored in mathematics would be good at puzzles, but I am not. I am not sure if the issue is ability or patience since I just tend to walk away from them. I see no point in wasting valuable mental energy on a problem that is created for its own sake. Too many "real" problems to worry about.

My Wife Makes Me A Much Better Person

OK, everybody that knows me knows that, but it bears repeating over and over again!

And now - tag, you are it:

Mark Daniels
Glenn Lucke
Dadmanly
The Evangelical Ecologist
Bonnie
John Brown
This Guy
Mitt Romney, or any of the brothers for that matter.

Have fun!

Related Tags: , , , ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory