Thursday, September 06, 2007

 

Blog Beaters

Joe Carter recently reprinted a piece he wrote a year ago about "wife beating." Here is the key graph
There was a time when the issues was merely about the correct doctrine, the acceptable teachers, and the denominationally-approved books. The advent of the blogosphere, though, has not only expanded the reach of the critique-culture but has added new ways in which we can criticize each other's activities. I can't think of a single blogging initiative involving Christians that hasn't been roundly criticized by our own brothers and sisters. This is not to say that any venture should be immune from criticism. But there comes a point when the knee-jerk critiques simply lead to paralysis.
That is why, frankly, there really are not all that many blogs out there worth reading. It is pretty easy to write a post that complains or criticises, but it is hard work to do original stuff.

It has always been a rule for me in blogging when I do criticise to offer an alternative. It should never be enough just to say "You're wrong." If they are, how would you solve the problem?

Scripture comes to mind
Phil 3:12-14 - Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Criticism, and certainly criticism without some sort of redirection does nothing to move us forward towards "the goal." It also lacks the requisite humility that Paul exhibits. Pure criticism says "I have it right, and right now."

What is sad is that in blogging, criticism seems to build audience. I think because of the same impulses that allow such things to be written to begin with. Such is looking at you brother's speck and ingoring your own log.

Which leads me to my suggestion. If you agree with me, stop reading these critical blogs - do not even deign to argue with them for such increases their traffic and feeds the beast. The nice thing about blogging is we have a throttle on this kind of stuff.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory