Monday, September 24, 2007

 

Oh Lord It's Hard to Be Humble...

The Rev Bill presents a quote on humility in leadership
As a leadership trait, humility is a heart attitude that reflects a keen understanding of your limitations as a leader to accomplish something on your own. It gives credit to forces other than your own brilliance or effort when a victory is won or an obstacle overcome.
This will probably blow what little humility I have, simply by talking about it, but I can tell you that the thing I have lead that was most successful was the thing that I was least in control of. It was a very large enterprise involving 100's of volunteers. What made it work, I am convinced, is that I early on figured out that it was not my vision that matter, but as leader enabling the vision of everyone else. All I had to do was make sure everybody was pointed in essentially the same direction, and let them do "their thing."

So often we think leadership consists of finally being in charge and getting things our way. Nothing could be further from the truth. People that think that way are usually miserable failures as leaders. The pool of people that are willing to follow orders is a very small one and that limits what you can do. However, the pool of people that share a vision and are willing to work towards it is often pretty large, but they do need a little help in communicating with each other and getting organized.

Humility is a necessary trait in leadership, but I think it is more than simple humility - it is self-sacrifice. Leadership is about service, not control. Leadership is about enabling others to accomplish, not accomplishing yourself.

I have heard it said that a leader should not want the job. I think there is wisdom in that. It can be overstated, for a leader must be enthused about the job or it won't work. But any leader that works so hard to take control, is probably there for the wrong reasons.

If you find yourself begging to be in a leadership position, I suggest you ask yourself why. If the answers are about you, I suggest you give it a rest.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory