Monday, September 10, 2007

 

Work, Work, Work

Mark Daniels recently preached not one, but two sermons on Christians and work.

In the first Mark concludes:
Why do we work?
  • Because God wants us to work; it’s part of being human.
  • Because when we work, the presence of God’s image in us is visible.
  • Because when we work, we experience the joy of serving others.
  • And because when we work, we glorify God.
In the second he looks at three things that make people happy in thier work: I like everything Mark says here, and I think it can be integrated into a single point: God calls us to our work.

In the sermons, Mark discusses being a second career pastor. That is to say he came to ministry after exploring other career options. I moved in the opposite direction, from professional ministry to a "secular" career. It was a difficult transition. It was not one of doscoviering a calling, but of rediscovering, or perhaps even undiscovering.

Essentially, I had to come to understand that what I do now, both for a living and otherwise, was what God wanted and intended for me - it was my call. God calls us not just to ministry, but to environmental consulting, or clerical work, of carpentry, or bus driving.

In order to come to this realization, I had to change my fundamental understanding of the gospel. The gospel is not a set of propositions, it is not merely a confession, or a membership. No, the gospel is the Holy Spirit indwelling individuals, made possible through the ministry and resurrection of Jesus. In other words, I am the gospel, not, of course, in a blasphemous sense, but in the sense of the Apostle Paul when he said,
Phil 3:17(a) - Brethren, join in following my example...
The greatest testimony to the grace and saving power of Jesus is not words, but in saved and transformed people. When I am working, I am spreading the gospel if I am allowing the Holy Spirit to work in me and transform me. By being Christ's man in my work, I am doing the ministry I was called to, to spread the gospel.

It is not just a job, because you are not just a person. You are being transformed into the image of Jesus Christ. That transformation IS ministry.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory