Wednesday, November 14, 2007

 

Providing Comfort

Paul Yanosy writes at CGO about comforting friends.
...at a certain point there’s a pause where I can’t hide in the listening anymore. And while I want –desperately – to say the words that will change the situation and make it all better and comfort but also light the fire of inspiration, I realize all the words I am contemplating are too small to fill this great void that has opened up.
But he closes with hope:
I don’t know when the corner gets turned, but I believe it will be, because -- and only because -- I believe in Jesus. So with some close friends I’m running to Jesus, asking him where he was and why he allowed these awful things to happen. And I’m waiting for what’s next… and hoping it’s something like what Jesus did with Lazarus.
Jesus is our hope, and that dear friends also answers the question that runs through this post - "WHY?"

The fact of the matter is, we will never know why. Sometime it is because we cannot - Our finiteness will not allow us to have sufficient perspective. Some things God simply does not want us to know why because He wants us to put our faith in him.

Why? is a question that is about us. It is about us trying to make sense of things, to exercise through understanding, control. And yet, God alone controls and He wants us to be satisfied with that.

Everybody knows all the scriptures about trials and tribulations and "considering it all joy." We know them to the point that they are almost cliche'. But cliche's become truths when we truly grasp them.

We have a choice when confronted with suffering. We can ask "why?" or we can rely. I choose to rely.

Technorati Tags:, , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory