Friday, November 09, 2007

 

So Where IS God Anyway?

Oh this one is irresistable. MMI has uncovered a story about missionaries to mega-churches!
John is part of a larger plan of action conceived by Pensacola Christian College over a decade ago. The plan involves training men and women to be secret missionaries to “mega churches” throughout the United States. Students are trained to learn how to become involved in the churches, how not to appear offended with the New International Version is read, how to endure contemporary music, and other liberal tendencies.
Never, ever, have I read anything that was such a great idea and so offensive all at the same time.

Remember the first time you found out that churches in South Korea were sending missionaries to the U.S.? If you are like me you were a bit offended, "Why we SEND missionaries, we don't need them." But as I have met a few of these missionaries over the years, I have to tell you, I think it is a good idea.

Any regular reader knows I am no mega-church fan either. The need for genuine, intimate ministry in those mass-marketed, homogeneous, hide-in-the-pew, entertainment-as-worship factories is real indeed. But overcoming offense at the NIV and contemporary music kinda misses the point, don't you think?

Sounds a bit like the Pharisees sending missionaries to the Sadducees.

I see things like this and I just want to cry. I want people to know the Jesus I know, not all the muck, grime, and crap that stands between us and Him. I want them to know that to see Him, you have to stand in all that stuff, but that in the end, it will slough off.

What is so hard is we pile the stuff up so fast my faith is not sufficient to know that His light can shine through the tiniest, most infintesimal crack so that I can follow it and move the garbage out of the way.

Oh Lord, help us to get out of your way.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory