Thursday, February 21, 2008

 

The Value of Corporate Prayer

Justin Taylor links to the 9Marks newsletter on corporate prayer. I have not had a chance to do much but skim through all the material linked, but what I have misses, I think, two key points to corporate prayer. Please bear in mind, I speak from experience here as I lead prayer in worship about 6 times year. Considering the points in turn:

It builds community

Shared prayer unites us in the Holy Spirit in a way that I have never experienced any other way. This is why I think, for example that, praying in unison, or at least have the prayer printed and available for the congregation to read is valuable. We unite, completely, in reaching out to God.

When music works right in worship, it has this same effect, but I think that is because it should be a form of prayer.

It places the community before God.

If indeed the church is the communion of believers than what better to put that church in front of the Throne of Grace than for all the members of the communion to speak to God together.

Frankly, I can think of no more important activity when it comes to maintaining perspective on who we are, and what the church is. I think this is especially true of corporate prayers of confession, wherein we join in proclaiming our unsuitability for God's grace individually AND AS A CHURCH.

Imagine for a moment a church that understand through prayer, as we as individuals can, its sinfulness. That church will change the world.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory