Friday, March 07, 2008

 

Young Life Puts Its Foot Down

CT reports on a theology showdown inside Young Life. Frankly, as a former YL staff guy, I am happy to see them take a stand on anything besides surviving, but the debate also makes me glad I am former. At the heart of the debate lies the question of how to handle the discussion of sin.

Tempted as I am to get into the internal YL politics of all this, I'll stay former and let it roll. I will say this; however, the question of how to present sin is much older than this recent flair. I debated it with some people 20 years ago.

It is, in my view, the key theological question facing the greater church. The concept of sin is gradually becoming watered down in our culture and eventually we will be left with a church that is mostly a self-help or group-therapy thing rather than a salvation bringer. Any more we heal, when it seems we should bring a message of re-creation.

Consider some scripture:
Gal 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Rom 6:4 - Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Our journey is not one of healing, but it is one THROUGH DEATH into life, a journey only made possible because He walks with us, and preceded us.

We seek to minimize or by-pass the through death part of that journey and we do so at great peril. Without that there is insufficient humility and the church becomes the authority, not the Word.

Consider this from the article:
When composing the Non-Negotiables document, YL leaders were evidently concerned to differentiate between style and substance. "We affirm Young Life's style is relational and incarnational," the statement reads. "This means that our proclamation of the gospel will most always proceed from the context of relationships with adolescents." The statement welcomes creativity in methodology but bolds the line, "However, while our methodology may change, our message does not."
When we alter the message, style becomes substance.

Here is an interesting thought - could new reformation be in the offing? Have we forgotten how to be "always reforming"?

Just wondering.

Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory