Wednesday, April 02, 2008

 

What Matters

iMonk, moderating the BHT looks at the question of denominationalism in a very short, but impactful post.
All my conscious Christian life, I’ve been around people who made this question- which denomination is true in a way that makes the others false?- into THE question of the Christian life. It’s the “Who do men say that I am?” for a whole breed of denominationally tuned up believers.
Spencer suggests three areas of examination when consider the question:
1) Look at the presuppositions behind this question (especially those about infallibity, God’s historical program and about the role of a denomination per se in the Christian life.)
2) Look at the either/or methodology (a method of exclusion to the core, with God on its side.)
3) Look at the standard used to make the decision.
It is that second one, and particularly the "with God on its side" remark that I want to serious dig into.

There is a vast, and I mean vast difference between believing one is correct in ones understanding, and claiming to hold Truth and therefore carry the EXCLUSIVE banner of God. Nobody knows where the Ark of the Covenant is and Indiana Jones nothwithstanding, I don't think it would have helped Hitler had he found it.
1 Cor 13:12 - For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known.
At our best we can know dimly. What is our hallmark as a Christian? - Is it our knowledge? I think not - I think it is our humility, our knowledge about our lack of knowledge. Jesus, who did not see dimly, possessed the power take over the world, but He chose to win our hearts through sacrifice and humility.

I write for Blogotional far in advance. As I write this particular post, it is mere days since Mitt Romney withdrew from the Presidential race. I am very, very weary of the number of people that have said such condemnatory things at my Mormon friends, and of the vindictives that have been hurled at me from some corners, although generally tiny, dark places where few ever tread, for daring to support someone who so "perverts" the Truth.

Well, here you go - What Mormons believe is wrong, flat out wrong. But Mormons are largely decent, upstanding citizens, and I bet I am going to win a whole bunch more of them with friendship and gentle discussion than I am with bombasting them with notions of their eternal destination.

But more - when you, oh sure one - Ye Who Holdeth THE TRUTH - reach your eternal destination, I am going to make you a solid promise, you too have perverted the Truth. You will have to stand before the Lord God Almighty and explain yourself for the misconceptions, misunderstanding, and lies that you have spread. I know this with certainty because all of us, without exception, hold such misunderstanding and lies.

I just hope you remember to humbly request mercy and don't try and tell God where He is wrong about the Truth that He established.

Technorati Tags:, , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory