Thursday, May 22, 2008

 

Reason #3,465 Why I Love Scotwise

He Quotes C.S. Lewis!
"Do not waste your time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbour act as if you did. As soon as we do this, we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less."
How true, how true - and how true for faith in general. How much time to we worry about how much faith we have when we should be acting like we have it. How much time do we lose worrying about whether we know enough scripture when we are not yet acting in accordance with the scripture we do know? How many opportunities pass us by while we search for our spiritual gifts when we could be working with what is at hand? Does it not seem like we spend a bunch of time preparing to be God's person instead of simply getting about it?

Quick watch this video - watch it a bunch of time if you like. Are you ready for the NBA? I don't think so. There is only one way to learn how to shoot a jump shot - practice. And not just practice on the driveway, you have to do it in competition. The jumper is quite different in traffic than it is alone.

Being a Christian begins with faith, but if it ends there, I am not sure it is worth the effort. Did Jesus come just to save us from hell? What about the hell right here, right now? Is it just about what I think and believe, but my life is composed of so much more, who I love, how I love, what I feel, what I do....

The point that Lewis makes in the quotation above may be the most obvious and least practiced idea in all of Christianity. We learn by doing.

As someone who studied a laboratory science in college, my store of knowledge from that time readily divides into to categories, what I read/heard and what I did. Much of what is in the read/heard category is long gone, I have to look it up if I need it. I no longer can reproduce a periodic table from scratch from memory. I no longer can recall the X number of common synthesis reaction for an ester.

But I can tell you the details of every lab experiment I ever did. I can still recall what pathway I DID take to synthesize an ester, and I can recall the portions of the periodic table in which I routinely worked.

Knowledge used is deep knowledge, and largely unforgettable knowledge.

Let's use what we know of our faith. It will be come a apart of us. It will transform us.

P.S. Blessings to Scotwise on his blogging hiatus. GBYAY John!

Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory