Monday, June 09, 2008

 

Imagine....

Milt Stanley links to a post from a "small church pastor" and quotes:
I have a love/hate relationship with the pastoral office. There, I've said it. I love what the office should be. I hate what it's become. I love the idea of the biblical pastor. I hate the idea of the 21st-century American pastor. I love what I could be, by God's grace. I hate what I'm pressured to be, by man's expectations. I love seeing the flock eat week-in, week-out. I hate the ecclesiastical steroids that tempt them between meals. I love what churches need to be biblical. I hate what churches expect to be successful. I love the institution. I hate institutionalism. I love that Jesus doesn't need me to adorn his bride. I hate that he doesn't need me to adorn his bride.

Like many pastors I've struggled to reconcile what I should be with what "they" say I should be. The tri-fold glossy pamphlets I receive peddle a pastor who is marketable, administratively brilliant, motivational, highly-starched and sharply-creased. A baptized Tony Robbins. A sanctified Gap model. A glorified spiritual guru.

Frankly, I have absolutely no desire to be any of those things.
But in the underlying post, here is what really caught my eye:
Maybe I'm dead wrong and prideful, but I've felt (very, very) guilty for a long time that I'm not, nor care to be, that guy. I feared that maybe I don't really love the lost or the church. Who is that guy? Joe Smiley with a PhD, MBA and PsyD who dazzles the masses with his organizational and rhetorical wizardry. He's an entrepreneurial team player who offends no one while defending everyone.

I just want to be pastor.
When I did professional ministry, such guilt was THRUST upon me - actually is wasn't really guilt is was shame because I was a "failure." To this day there are those that tell me that the tone of this blog and my rather adamant nature about what I expect form the church and clergy is "rooted in the shame I feel about failing at ministry and jealousy over their success." To which I often counter that their stridency towards me in "rooted in their idolatry of their jobs and the church and their guilt at turning their backs on their calling." You can imagine what pleasant conversations these are.

There is a time for plain talk in this world. The world forces us to certain things. Not the least of these is that those in professional ministry have to make a living, they have family to feed and houses to maintain. Depending on the standard of living they desire that can get pretty tough. Compromise of one's calling is almost inevitable. I personally mind far less that such compromises have to be made THAN I MIND THAT WHEN THEY ARE MADE WE PRETEND THEY ARE NOT COMPROMISES. In fact, many try to dress them up as the genuine calling of the church.

Imagine if you will a church where the pastor weeps openly because of the compromises the church as made. Imagine a ruling board that prays, "Lord we know what we are doing here, but this seems to be the only avenue you have given us to produce the revenue we need. Forgive us our lack of vision and faith. Walk with us on this journey, help us make the best of it, and to get on the right path."

What do you think would happen? I would bet on some pretty amazing things.

Technorati Tags:, , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory