Tuesday, December 23, 2008

 

We, Like Sheep...

...keep using the same phrases, it was passed around a while back, and I picked it up from Kruse Kronicle. What is it you ask? "Ten Most Annoying Presby-Phrases." Frankly, I think they are "Evangiphrases" Check 'em out:
  1. Intentional
  2. Live into
  3. Fellowship, the verb
  4. If the way be clear
  5. A new thing
  6. Unpack
  7. Jesus, we just
  8. Gift, the verb
  9. I feel that the Jesus I know would...
  10. Missional

Mostly these things are just faddish and show a lack of thought. "Jesus we just..." I find particularly annoying. When I hear Christ's name thrown around in public prayer like it was a punctuation mark, I feel a little irritating tingle up my spine with each utterance. Think about it, if someone were in conversation with you and they said your name to you in every second or third sentence....

But one is actually problematic. "I feel that the Jesus I know would..." Translated that means I hereby claim to speak directly with the voice of God. Oh yeah, and by the way, while making that already extraordinary claim, I am going to warp that Jesus into someone that conforms to me. Nah, there is no problem in that one!

Why do we say these things? What is it about us that lets us fall so readily into these patterns? Well, it is the same thing that has me falling into habits in relationships with people. Those people become part of the woodwork and we deal with them through rote instead of actual communication.

Can we afford to do that with our God? Only, I think, at our peril.

Technorati Tags:, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory