Monday, January 26, 2009

 

Are We Really That Sure?

Al Mohler discusses the recent Pew study fact that most believe there is a way to salvation other than Christ. One point that Mohler makes is a good one:
I am confident that much of this confusion can be traced to the superficiality that marks far too many evangelical pulpits.
Amen to that! Way too many pulpits are way too full of pablum. Church as pep rally has never been something I was much in favor of.

That said; however, Mohler's prescription for what to preach, I find problematic:
In that work, Hunter warned that the rising generation of younger evangelicals -- then mostly college age -- were increasingly uncomfortable with the claim that Jesus is the only Savior and that belief in Christ is necessary in order for a person to go to heaven.
First part good - Jesus is our only savior, but that later half about belief I have a bit of a problem. Nothing I do can warrant my salvation, even mere belief. But I do not want to debate Arminianism and Calvinism in this post, I want to discuss attitude.

Let's take Mohler at face value. To set ourselves up as gatekeepers based on belief is just pure ego. It is simply too easy to lie. I can tell you I believe when I do not and frankly, vice-versa. We cannot see into people hearts and minds - we cannot know who truly believes and who does not. Profession and belief are two different things, and we lack the capability to bridge the gap between them.

Historically, we protestants broke away from the Roman church because they believed that they controlled the way to heaven. How is the attitude expressed by Mohler here any different? Different standard perhaps, but he has set himself up as judge and jury as to who does and who does not enter into God's eternal kingdom. Seems to me that is God's judgment and God's decision alone.

Look, of course I want all people to be a part of Christ's church. Of course, I believe that all religions other than my own are, in some sense, false. But I also endeavor to practice some humility in my conviction. I certainly know that God is much bigger, much smarter and much more loving than I am.

This means simply that I am unwilling to say who I will and will not meet in heaven. I am willing to say that at least some of them will be surprising.

I have my convictions and I work to defend them, but I realize my inadequacy to ever be 100% sure.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory