Tuesday, March 03, 2009

 

Relax

Keith Buhler at Mere Orthodoxy writes that only in Christ can we know what to do with our leisure:
Thus begins Mathew Anger’s nice review of Joseph Pieper’s modern classic, Leisure: The Basis of Culture.

“Drawing on the Western sages, both pagan and Christian, Pieper is careful to make a clear distinction between leisure and idleness. The former refers to the contemplative side of man; the ability to passively receive knowledge and wisdom. This same sort of passivity is at work when we accept God’s grace.”

How many times in the last week has a friend (or have you?) complained of being “too busy”? If Pieper is right, this is not the result of too much activity, but not enough real rest.

“Cut off from the worship of the divine,” says Pieper, “leisure becomes laziness and work inhuman.”

Was thinking about this and decided to check out scriptures about "rest." The results were interesting:
Ps 37:7 - Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.

Ps 55:6 - And I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.

Ps 62:7 - On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.

Ps 116:7 - Return to your rest, O my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

Prov 29:9 - When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

Isa 14:3 - And it will be in the day when the LORD gives you rest from your pain and turmoil and harsh service in which you have been enslaved,

Matt 11:28-30 - "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light."
Looking at all that scripture, it seems to me that God's understanding of rest is not inactivity or leisure, but rather a freedom from worry and concern. Christ promises us an easy yoke and a light load - not the absence thereof.

Keith concludes his post this way:
In contrast, Christian faith (and consequently Christian leisure)
means keeping inane distractions to a reasonable minimum and substituting for them things like reading, creative activities and, most of all, prayer.
I have to disagree in a fashion. Indeed devotional activity is mandatory for true rest; for such it is that allows us to stand in the Lord's presence and know not worry. But those things are not "Christian leisure."

We are sanctified, were are Christians - when we are at leisure, then it is Christian leisure provided we "working out our salvation."

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory