Monday, March 09, 2009

 

Should It Be Invisible?

Milt Stanley recently quoted Victoria Gaines:
"It's time we stopped counting church involvement as the mark of true faith. And while a Christless Churchianity is running rampant across this nation, there is still good news. Jesus is building His invisible Church and it is not falling apart."
I agree, but the question in the title ran through my mind instantly when I read it.

Is Christianity doomed to be an underground movement? Something that once it sees the light of day corrupts from its true calling? That certainly seems to be the historical case. I wonder why? I know, I know - we are all sinners, but....

There are just a couple of points I want to make here. I certainly do think institutions corrupt, pretty much inevitably, but we worship an all powerful God who works through that corruption. We cannot allow ourselves to be corrupted with the institutions, but we cannot divorce ourselves from them either. God is at work there.

Secondly, I do not think that the "true" church should be invisible. In fact I do not think it can be. People truly transformed by God's grace are gong to stand out like a sore thumb. They will be humble indeed, but they will not be invisible - these two things are not synonymous.

So, if you think you are part of the invisible church, I think you need to ask yourself what you are doing wrong.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory